Saturday, April 30, 2011

Spiritual Strength through cleansing our lives

First off, it was never my plan to use such a pretentious moniker as you see I'm posting with; however, since our beloved capitán gave me credit for coining our group name, I feel it's only appropriate that I stick with the nickname he created for me...

Anyways, on the topic of spiritual strength, the first thing that came to my mind was one of my favorite quotes by the prophet Joseph Smith: "If I were in the deepest coal-pit of Nova Scotia, and had the Rocky Mountains piled on top of me, I would not be discouraged, and I would come out on top!"

This quote demonstrates all kinds of strength to me and the ability to, as Winston Churchill put it, “never, never, never, give up.” If we are going to reach any destination, spiritual or not, this is an important strength.

I just want to interject a quick and personal side note. This five minute fireside activity has already proved quite beneficial and quite a bit more enjoyable than I anticipated. Thoughts started popping into my head the moment I started reading the assignment for this week's post. Right as I learned it was intended that we include one quote from Joseph Smith, the previous quote I posted popped right into my head. When I learned we needed another quote from a deceased, modern-day prophet, the story I'm going to share in a moment from President Hinckley about being clean popped into my head. The only thing that didn't pop into my head instantly was an O.T. Scripture, probably because I'm the least familiar with that book of scripture. However, once I got the spiritual wheels turning in my head and dove into my morning study to contribute to this blog, I went back to find an O.T. Scripture and the thought “Joshua, Chapter 1, verses 8 and 9” immediately popped into my head. Anyways, that was quite surprising because I had no idea what these scriptures said, so I rushed to look them up and I was quite please to find that they mesh in perfectly with this topic.

Joshua 1:9 - “Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the aLord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

We are commanded to be strong, and obey the Lord's law, and in verse 8 we are promised the blessings for our spiritual strength and obedience: “for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.”

Finally, if there is any story, or theme that could tie in perfectly with the topic of spiritual strength, it would be the following story given by Gordon B. Hinckley in the April 2007 Priesthood Session of General Conference. It is a long excerpt, but I wouldn't have posted it if it wasn't worth the read. It gives a stunning example of the power gained in one's life from spiritual strength, and how such spiritual strength is achieved. And as a side note, I'm sad that I'm only able to post the text from his talk because most of the power was felt in hearing this story from his own lips. It was a very powerful talk, but I've never been able to track down a version of it in video...

The following is a story from the life of Joseph F. Smith, in his own words, quoted by President Hinckley:

I was very much oppressed [when I was] on a mission. I was almost naked and entirely friendless, except [for] the friendship of a poor, benighted … people. I felt as if I was so debased in my condition of poverty, lack of intelligence and knowledge, just a boy, that I hardly dared look a … man in the face.

While in that condition I dreamed [one night] that I was on a journey, and I was impressed that I ought to hurry—hurry with all my might, for fear I might be too late. I rushed on my way as fast as I possibly could, and I was only conscious of having just a little bundle, a handkerchief with a small bundle wrapped in it. I did not realize … what it was, when I was hurrying as fast as I could; but finally I came to a wonderful mansion. … I thought I knew that was my destination. As I passed towards it, as fast as I could, I saw a notice [which read B-A-T-H], ‘Bath.’ I turned aside quickly and went into the bath and washed myself clean. I opened up this little bundle that I had, and there was [some] white, clean [clothing], a thing I had not seen for a long time, because the people I was with did not think very much of making things exceedingly clean. But my [clothing was] clean, and I put [it] on. Then I rushed to what appeared to be a great opening, or door. I knocked and the door opened, and the man who stood there was the Prophet Joseph Smith. He looked at me a little reprovingly, and the first words he said: ‘Joseph, you are late.’ Yet I took confidence and [replied]:

“‘Yes, but I am clean—I am clean!’

He clasped my hand and drew me in, then closed the great door. I felt his hand just as tangible as I ever felt the hand of man. I knew him, and when I entered I saw my father, and Brigham [Young] and Heber [C. Kimball], and Willard [Richards], and other good men that I had known, standing in a row. I looked as if it were across this valley, and it seemed to be filled with a vast multitude of people, but on the stage were all the people that I had known. My mother was there, and she sat with a child in her lap; and I could name over as many as I remember of their names, who sat there, who seemed to be among the chosen, among the exalted. …

[When I had this dream,] I was alone on a mat, away up in the mountains of Hawaii—no one was with me. But in this vision I pressed my hand up against the Prophet, and I saw a smile cross his countenance. …

When I awoke that morning I was a man, although only [still] a boy. There was not anything in the world that I feared [after that]. I could meet any man or woman or child and look them in the face, feeling in my soul that I was a man every whit. That vision, that manifestation and witness that I enjoyed at that time has made me what I am, if I am anything that is good, or clean, or upright before the Lord, if there is anything good in me. That has helped me out in every trial and through every difficulty” (Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. [1939], 542–43).”

May we each do our best to be clean and obtain spiritual strength in our own lives.

Michael

1 comment:

  1. This is really good Mike. And way to finish a week early!

    ReplyDelete